Sunday, July 27, 2014

Mission Navajo

Several months ago, one of my closest friends invited me to go on a mission trip with her and her grandparents. She had made the trip a few times before so I had heard a lot about. I put some thought to it and agreed to join her. However, at the time, I did not not quite what I was getting myself into.

We drove with her grandparents from Iowa to New Mexico, stopping for a night in Texas. When we arrived in New Mexico and went to find our rooms at the boarding the school that is when I began to panic. There were a lot of people I did not know that all seemed to each other. I also found out that I would be helping my friend lead a small group of high schoolers for devotion everyday. I was not exactly prepared to do that. Though I had gone on a mission trip with my church several years ago, I could not remember devotion being a strong focus on our trip. This trip however would have time for devotions each day.

Our first morning was a Sunday, the group went to three different churches. We would be hosting vacation bible school at two of the churches over the next few days. The church service reminded me of the church services I have been to in Tanzania, similar in style, organization, and timeliness. We sang hymns in English and Navajo. After the service, there was some time for fellowship where we ate Fritos pies, which are like walking tacos with Fritos instead of Doritos. Then we planned and decorated for vacation bible school. In the afternoon, the group met up at Window Rock, an aptly named rock formation with a large hole in it. Then we caravanned to Cross Canyon. Many of us made the hike down into the canyon. The view was absolutely breathtaking. After the hike, we had Navajo tacos and blue corn mush. The canyon was on a man named Jimmy's "property." Technically the government owns the land and it is leased as a trust to Navajo people. Jimmy and his family hosted us, leading us on the hike and making dinner for us. The land had been in Jimmy's family for several generations, since the Walk of Shame. When we arrived back at the school, we heard for the school's superintendent and one of the elders. They shared about their lives, the school, and the people.




Over the course of the next few days, my schedule was pretty much the same. After breakfast, there was the hour for devotions. Devotions were part quiet reflection and part small group. After devotions, we split up to work on different projects. My friend and I went to a woman named Dorothy's house to install a walk-in shower. Over the course of several days, we took out the bath tub and old panels and installed the new shower. We also spent time getting to know Dorothy, an loving and crafty elderly woman, as well as her nine-year old granddaughter Kimora. The one person spent a lot of time getting to know Dorothy while working on crafts with her. We played volleyball, dolls, and other games with Kimora. Each day we took a break to meet up with the group for lunch before going back to work. We had a little break in the late afternoon before going to the two churches for vacation bible school. I shepherded the 5 to 8 year olds. Though it was difficult because there were about twenty of them each evening. I loved getting to know those kids. The one I grew closest to was Jakob. The first night his mom told me that he does not talk very much and is quite shy. Slowly that first night, I could get him to talk to me. On the last night, I could see how much I had impacted him when he saved a seat for me next to him when our group had dinner time as well as much he would talk to me. His mom even hugged me as they were leaving. I think I impressed all the kids with how well I could remember their names from night to night. I loved getting to help with vacation bible school again because it was something that I had been missing.



Unfortunately, the second night there was a fight that broke out between to teenage girls. It was heartbreaking to witness. We also concerned about the well-being of some of the kids that we pick-up and drop-off from an nearby neighborhood called Kid's Canyon. Before leaving the church that night, the pastor spoke to all of us. His main message was "Let it go." To which, my friend, another girl our age, and I got very upset with. We discussed it afterwards. That was not what we thought our mission should be about. The motto for the trip was "It's not about the work, it's about the people." The fact that we were so frustrated with what the pastor showed how we felt about the people.

The one night we went on a short night hike to a nearby place called Resurrection Rock. We spent some time stargazing in silence. The only light came from the town and Route 66 on the horizon. The sky was so clear. Something about staring at the night sky makes me feel spiritually satisfied and brings me inner peace. That feeling of being so incredibly small in the universe is surreal and powerful.
One of the days we spend doing cultural activities in the afternoon. We watched a couple of dances and heard some flute music. I went to meet a weaver. She was an amazing and kind elderly woman. She showed us how she spins and dyes her own yarn with wool from her sheep and showed us how to use her loom.

On the last day of projects, I went with a group to visit the food pantry. Though, we did not end up doing any work, I learned a lot. The pantry has a garden where people can rent plots. The garden is watered using rain water collected in massive barrels on around the building for the pantry. The pantry is not only providing food but education as well. They are trying to teach people how to budget their food as well as how to eat healthier. A man named Ken gave us a tour and shared this information. It was neat to hear him speak because he was so passionate about his job and was so opinionated. In the afternoon, I watched a video about the Navajo code talkers that was put together by a group of children at the school where we were staying. Then a group of us went to Kid's Canyon. The houses were like shacks and there were so many adults and children. It was powerful to see. 



Despite my concerns at the beginning of the week about the trip. I loved it! I learned a lot about the Navajo people and the circumstances of the people in the area through talking to the people I encountered. I made friends with people in the group as well as with the Navajo. I also learned about myself as I reflected on my faith.





No comments:

Post a Comment